What is BarCamp?
BarCamp is an international network of user-generated conferences. BarCamps are open, participatory workshop-like events whose content is provided by participants. Topics often focus on but are not limited to early-stage web applications, and related open source technologies, social protocols, open data formats and other DIY/hacker/open culture themes.
At BarCamp, there are no spectators, only participants. Attendees should prepare a demo, a session, or help with one, or otherwise volunteer / contribute in some way to support the event. All presentations are scheduled the day they happen. BarCamp participants help to select the topics they want to see and talk about.
Anyone is welcome at BarCamp. Attendance is usually diverse and includes software engineers, web developers, hackers, makers, entrepreneurs, journalists, students and artists. About 300-400 people attend each year.
When / Where
BarCamp Portland 8 will be held March 28–30th, 2014. Additional schedule details will be released as the event approaches.
BarCamp will be held at the Eliot Center, 1226 SW Salmon St., Portland, OR 97205.
Please let us know you plan to attend by RSVP’ing on EventBrite. This helps us plan for space and food accordingly. When you register, please consider pitching in a couple of bucks towards the event. We’re able to host a free BarCamp by the generous support of individual contributors and our sponsors.
Sponsoring BarCamp is a great way to support Portland’s vibrant tech and creative community.
We accept contributions in any amount, but the following is suggested:
- $250 – Consultant / Microbusiness
- $500 – Small to Medium Businesses or Startup
- $1000 – Large Businesses
We recognize sponsors in the following ways:
- logo, link and description on BarCamp website
- recognition in emails to BarCamp attendees
- recognition by event chairs during Friday night opening reception
- 30 seconds to talk about your company or organization during Saturday morning kick-off
If we hit our sponsorship target, we will produce a BarCamp t-shirt and your logo can go on it.
We also encourage sponsors to attend and fully participate in BarCamp. There is no better way to be noticed by our community.
Ready to sponsor? Contact email@example.com today.
How Contributions Are Used
The budget for BarCamp Portland is about $8,000. This includes space rental, insurance, food and drink, advertising and a small administrative overhead. Funds we raise in excess of our expenses go into the Stumptown Syndicate general fund for use by future BarCamps and other events.
Please checkout the Organizers page for a complete list of who is working on BarCamp Portland.
Tags / Links
- Planning list: http://groups.google.com/group/barcampportland-planning
- Announcement list: http://bit.ly/syndicate-subscribe
- RSVP: http://barcampportland7.eventbrite.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/barcampportland
- Official tag: #bcp6
- Flickr Group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/barcampportland/